Recent Study: American Adults are Addicted to Digital Media

While the title of this post may be a bit obvious (and quite hyperbolic upon reflection), a recent report prepared by Nielsen illustrates that the average American cannot pry themselves away from technology for long throughout the day. Whether it’s browsing the web, using social applications on smartphones and tablets, watching live television, or playing video games on a console, a significant part of one’s day is based in technology. Some of the key figures from the report include:

  • 89% of a users mobile monthly usage on smartphones is done via applications, whereas the remaining 11% is done through mobile web.
  • The split is similar for tablets, with 81% of time spent on media is through applications, whereas the remaining 11 % is through mobile web.
  • The average American spends 11 hours a day with a form of electronic media.

Below is a chart from Statista that pretty much exhibits how those 11 hours break down for the typical user. In this era of digital media, it’s clear that the average person is dependent on digital media and will use a variety of devices to access information or find entertainment. Oddly enough, radio seems to still be a significant form of digital media  (second after live television), and when digging deeper into the statistics, I was shocked to see that the number is still rather high when looking at the 12-17 and 18-24 age segments. Smartphone usage and time spent on the internet follow suit, which isn’t surprising and should only continue to rise in the coming years.

Based on the information below and your own personal experiences, do you think 11 hours a day is too much or too little?

Recent Study: American Adults are Addicted to Digital Media

Image Source: Mashable

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.