Many brands, marketers, and general users are quick to hop on the most popular social media platforms in an effort to capitalize on the latest trends. Unfortunately, this can result in a lot of branded pages being horribly mismanaged, resulting in low engagement rates and a waste of social media content.
The best example of a social media platform that is terribly misused is Facebook. Some brands think that they can amass a significant amount of fans and generate a positive ROI by asking users to buy products every single day. Unfortunately, that will only result in fans tuning brands out, negatively impacting engagement rates and creating a veritable wasteland of a Facebook page.
There are some basic tips your brand should follow when it comes to approaching social media marketing.
- Develop a strategy: how will you use social media marketing for your business? Is it primarily to generate brand awareness, or do you need to generate leads and/or sales?
- Establish objectives: you will need to measure the end results of your marketing efforts.
- Create a social media calendar: this can help you prepare content ideas on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Communicate with your audience: no one likes interacting with a robot, which is why it’s important to have your brand convey a human element on social media channels.
- Publish quality content: make sure your posts are adapted to each platform and that your content is optimized for engagement (hashtags on Twitter and Instagram, great visuals, concise text, simple calls to action, etc.).
- Don’t limit yourself: if you stick to only one social media channel, you will not be able to generate a sizable audience, or you may discover that your audience isn’t primarily on Facebook.
- Don’t overextend yourself: on the flip side, don’t try to manage too many social media profiles or else you will become overwhelmed and start making mistakes.
- Don’t become a spammer: you will begin to annoy your audience if you post too much (10 times a day on Facebook, for example).
- Don’t be too much of a salesman: effective social media management requires you to provide a mixture of community building content and promotional content, but that mix should be heavily skewed towards non-promotional posts.
With these helpful tips in mind, are you prepared to take your social media marketing to the next level?