10 years can be quite the long time, especially within the social media environment. An infographic prepared by Endgadget shows some pertinent statistics regarding some of the major platforms and a timeline that shows how the value of social media platforms have grown since 2004. For example, the acquisitions below show a trend that exhibits the growing power of social media marketing platforms:
- 2005: News Corp. purchased Myspace for $580 Million.
- 2006: Google purchased YouTube for $1.65 Billion.
- 2012: Facebook purchased Instagram for $1.0 Billion.
- 2013: Yahoo! purchased Tumblr for $1.1 Billion.
- 2014: Facebook purchased WhatsApp for a staggering $19 Billion.